Pile Drivers are involved in the installation of driven pile foundations for heavy construction such as buildings, factories, bridges, wharves, and docks. Marine construction or structures built on or over water are a specialty of the Pile Drivers, along with underwater construction using the talents of the Pile Driver deep sea divers.
The Pile Driver Apprentice program involves:
- 4800 hours (four years) of on-the-job training
- Mandatory classes are one week each quarter for 36 hours
Requirements for application:
Must provide one of the following:
- Applicants must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent, or Verified 6 months full time work experience in a construction related trade, or Graduated from an approved pre-apprenticeship program.
- An applicant SHOULD have a valid Drivers License.
- An applicant SHOULD have Reliable Transportation
- Must be at least eighteen years old in general, but may be seventeen if his or her Apprenticeship Agreement is signed by a parent or guardian.
Applications may be obtained at:
Pile Drivers Local 34
55 Hegenberger Place
Oakland, CA 94621
Carpenters Training Center
2350 Santa Rita Road
Pleasanton, CA 94566-4190
During the “open application period” applications may be submitted in person at the Carpenters Training Center in Pleasanton Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. or may be sent there by mail. To learn dates of the “open application period” call (510) 635-4227.