Every month, a reader asks one of our sponsor legal experts about a work-related issue. These building trades law professionals respond in an Organized Labor exclusive. This month’s expert is Alexandra A. Hamilton of The Veen Firm. Ask Alexandra a question at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Visit the VEEN FIRM website.

I was injured on the jobsite by construction equipment, and Cal/OSHA blamed my employer for violating safety regulations. Can I bring a civil lawsuit for my injuries?

Potentially, but it depends on how you were injured. Although exceptions exist, workers’ compensation is usually the only remedy against your employer for injuries at work. However, even if Cal/OSHA blamed your employer, a citation does not mean that your employer’s violation was the sole cause of your injury. If your injury was caused in any way by the negligence of someone other than you or your employer, you may have a civil case against this “third party,” such as a general contractor, a subcontractor, a person employed by someone other than your employer, a property owner, or the manufacturer or seller of the construction equipment. A careful case-by-case review is necessary to see if you can bring a civil lawsuit, but here are some issues to consider:

  • Was someone, who was not employed by your employer, operating the construction equipment improperly? If so, you may be able to sue that person and his or her employer in a civil lawsuit.
  • Was the construction equipment defective in a way which caused your injury? For example, you were injured when an asphalt paver struck you because it did not have a dead man’s switch to stop the paver when the operator fell off. If so, you may be able to bring a civil lawsuit against those who manufactured, sold, or serviced the product.
  • Were you injured by the construction equipment as a result of the condition of the property? For example, the ground underneath a scissor lift crumbled, causing the lift to tilt. If so, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against the general contractor or property owner.
  • Was the construction equipment a power press? If so, you can sue your employer in a civil lawsuit if your employer removed or failed to install manufacturer-required point of operation guard.

For additional advice as to what you should do in your specific situation, you should consult with attorneys who specialize in personal injury claims as soon as possible because there are strict time limits under which you must act to protect your rights.

-Alexandra A. Hamilton, Leary Trial Team at The Veen Firm, PC
Ask Alexandra a question at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

“Interaction via “Ask the Expert” does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any advice given is neither legal advice nor does it serve as a replacement for hiring an attorney. In addition, any case results mentioned or discussed are not guarantees of similar results.”
Kimberly Wong

This Month's Expert; Alexandra A. Hamilton

Alexandra Hamilton is a member of the Leary Trial Team at The Veen Firm, PC in San Francisco. Ms. Hamilton represents individuals and families who have suffered serious or fatal injuries that have a life-changing and career-altering impact. She is experienced in litigating cases involving work-site injuries, dangerous premises, auto accidents, and defective products. Ms. Hamilton has been selected to Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars list for the years 2014-2015 and has been named Top 40 Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers and Top 10 Under 40 by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys. For more information on this article, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or visit The Veen Firm’s website at www.veenfirm.com.

Past Questions

Ask the Expert

Ask a Question

Labor 411

Labor 411

IBEW Builds San Francisco Transit Center


Please Support the Sponsors that Support the Labor Movement...

Blue Shield CA
UA Local 38 Plumbers & Pipefitters
Labor 411
OE Federal

Go to top