Every month, a reader asks one of our sponsor legal experts about a work-related issue. These building trades law professionals respond in an Organized Labor exclusive. This month's expert is Hillary Allyn of the Arns Law Firm. Ask Hillary a question at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Visit The Arns Law Firm website.

Yesterday I tripped on the jobsite because of some loose boards on a walkway and landed on my knees. I got up and had some soreness, but I thought I would be okay; I did not think I needed to go to the doctor and I did not report the fall to my supervisor. When I woke up today, I could barely walk and I am in a lot of pain. What should I do?


  1. Report the injury to your employer!
  2. Go to the doctor.

These things must be done immediately to protect your Workers' Compensation case. You should also consult an attorney because there are other types of recovery to which you may be entitled. If the condition that caused you to trip was the fault of a company other than your employer, you have a civil third party case in addition to your Workers' Compensation case:

  • The employer is the 1st party;
  • the employee is the 2nd party;
  • the other company causing the injury (the company that made the faulty walkway) is the 3rd party.

The recovery in a third party case is substantially greater than that of a Workers' Compensation case.

-Hillary Allyn, The Arns Law Firm, San Francisco, CA
Ask Hillary a question at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For more information on work-site accidents and
your legal options, visit the ARNS Website.

"Interaction via "Ask the Expert" does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any advice given is neither legal advice nor does it serve as a replacement for hiring an attorney. In addition, any case results mentioned or discussed are not guarantees of similar results."

Hillary Allyn

This Month's Expert; Hillary Allyn

Hillary Allyn has a strong background in Workers' Compensation. She litigates cases involving construction injury, workers' compensation, personal injury, employment discrimination, and serious and willful employer misconduct.

Hillary was an extern to the Honorable Judge Teri Jackson at the San Francisco Superior Court. Her experience and her fluency in Spanish allow her to successfully represent our Spanish-speaking client base.

Past Questions

Ask the Expert

Ask a Question

Labor 411

Labor 411

IBEW Builds San Francisco Transit Center


Please Support the Sponsors that Support the Labor Movement...

Blue Shield CA
UA Local 38 Plumbers & Pipefitters
Labor 411
OE Federal

Go to top