Elevator Constructors assemble, install, test, and maintain elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, moving walkways, stage lifts, and wheelchair lifts. They perform rigging, welding, electrical work, and hydraulic piping in connection with these tasks, and must also install metal, wood, glass, and other interior and exterior surfaces with a high degree of finish.
- 8000 hours (about four years) of on-the-job training
- 576 hours of classroom training
- High school diploma or G.E.D. or equivalent; transcript or official report of G.E.D. results;
- Pass an examination testing reading and math skills and aptitude for employment in the elevator industry;
- Pass a drug test; and,
- Consent to a pre-hire medical exam